Sunday, December 14, 2008

Musings

So I mentioned earlier that I've got an idea for an upcoming photo shoot and that I want to be starting to build a portfolio.  I managed to convince someone the other day to stand in front of my lens in the coming weeks.  I'm getting excited at the idea of getting to do some creative shooting that will be meant to build my business.  The first steps are always the hardest when you're not sure if you're ready to leave the nest (mixing metaphors - gotta love it).  I am excited though and I know it's time to do, not say I'm going to.  In preparation for the upcoming shoot I've been upgrading or replacing some of my lighting equipment.  I've got a flash bracket adapter that has served me well, but it's also the piece of equipment that broke my SB 600.  It's also poorly made and the plastic housing has become stripped so it no longer will support an umbrella (without taping it into the adapter).  So I've now upgraded to a new metal umbrella holder, and along with that I've gone with a small shoot through umbrella.  I like the control that is provided by a shoot through over a reflective umbrella and how I can get that light in much closer to my subject (who am I kidding...I'm almost always my test subject).  I'm looking forward to the coming shoot now.  I know that I'll be able to get the look I'm after from it :D

- ttfn

No comments: