Thursday, December 11, 2008

Very Quick

I've fallen behind in postings because I've gotten lost in the world of my day job (day/night/weekend job to be more specific).  There is a portion of my work schedule where I work 6 12 hour shifts in a row and I find I loose touch with the rest of the world during this time.  

What's new though.  I lost the bid I had in to shoot a wedding for someone I work with.  I can't say I'm upset though.  I'm not a wedding photographer and have never advertised myself as one. I actually am more relieved than anything else that I didn't get this job.  This leaves me more time to focus on the building of the editorial/fashion/portraiture portfolio I want to build.

Speaking of portfolio building, I have got a shoot idea for what I'd like my first shoot to be (or one of the first).  It's a very clean look, monochromatic with these splashes of color.  I want it to be a very powerful yet elegant and sexy looking set of images with just a hint of mystery.  There are a few things that I will need in order to do this shoot, most importantly will be the model (everything else I can arrange on short notice).  So this is a bit of an invitation to my readers - if you've ever thought about modeling, or what you would look like in a fashion magazine layout, this is your chance.  I want to find normal people to photograph as high fashion - so if you think you're not model material, then I'm looking for you.

The last thing that I've been thinking of lately...there is a lot of talk out there these days about working for free, and I'm also making considerations to do this in order to build the portfolio that I want to have.  But with this I started thinking about image delivery.  For the most part, I like to have a hard copy of my images printed properly.  There is something special about giving your client that perfectly printed and framed image that just speaks of the moment.  With this we end up giving our clients price lists as means to provide images to them.  $2 for a 4x6, $10 for an 8x10...  I think this practice gets confusing to our clients...especially our clients who are the general public.  What I'm now considering is this...For paying jobs I will be charging a production fee (that is the cost of the shoot, my fee for the day, retouching/developing, overhead, etc) and I will be charging a licensing fee which will be a per image fee based on the intended usage of the image.  With this, my clients will be purchasing a finished digital image suitable for printing in what ever form necessary in a media/market/timeframe that's been pre-arranged in the license on the image.  For hard copy materials, books, prints, etc I think I'm going to be removing any profit from these items and charging the client cost on them.  This will make the prints more attractive to a general public client...they get their pictures that they can put up on facebook, they've payed for the images, so if they choose to get prints from me, they're getting the same price they can get from their photo lab.  The only difference being when I get their prints done, it's an opportunity for me to retain the control of the image look from capture to print...where Walmart may give a very different look to the image then I had ever intended.

- ttfn

--edit--
Just a follow up to the above.  Obviously anything that is produced as a fine art piece, a proper fee would be charged with no digital copy available to the buyer.  In that case they're there to buy the print.

No comments: